Connect with us

Mazda Will Resurrect the Wankel Motor

(Credit: Mazda )

Latest Car News

Mazda Will Resurrect the Wankel Motor

Mazda is bringing back its famous rotary engines, but maybe not in the way fans wanted. The Japanese automaker used the Paris Motor Show to confirm the rumors that it’s returning to proper Wankel form.

The rotary engine will be used on electric Mazdas, acting as range extenders, similar to the gas engine on the Chevy Volt or BMW i3. The plan is for the company to make 95 percent of its models hybrids by 2030, with the other 5 percent being purely electric.

One of the biggest reasons to use a rotary engine is its compact size. That helps with packaging issues, plus keeps vehicle weight down. After all, batteries aren’t exactly lightweight. Also, the Wankel boasts high power output, so it will provide plenty of range extension for people who don’t want to get stranded.

Another huge advantage of rotary engines is that they don’t vibrate like traditional gasoline engines. They don’t have many moving parts, so they also run quieter.

Sadly, this isn’t the return of the mighty Mazda RX-7. But, it does mean Mazda will start making rotaries again, even if it’s for a fuel-sipping people mover.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

You must be logged in to post a comment Login

Leave a Reply

More in Latest Car News

SPONSORED

Newsletter

Get Our StoriesIn Your Inbox

Subscribe for our latest news, reviews, and lists.

Popular Stories

Recent Posts

Car Manufacturer News

BMW Spending Big Bucks on New EV

By Dec 14, 2018

Truck News

Ford Working on Baby Pickup

By Dec 14, 2018

Car Safety

Car Headlights Still Suck

By Dec 13, 2018

Car Safety

Volkswagen Has a New Scandal

By Dec 13, 2018
SPONSORED
To Top